Vascular Surgery hospital in Chennai is a specialty of discipline in surgery that deals with diseases mainly of the vascular system. This is the circulatory system in the human body comprising the blood vessels, lymph vessels, and the lymphatic system. The blood vessels include the veins, arteries, and capillaries. The arteries help in carrying the blood away from the heart and the veins carry blood to the heart. The capillaries aid in distributing oxygen-rich blood to the body.
The lymph vessels transport the lymphatic fluid with blood cells. The lymphatic system draws lymph away from each part of the human body. The vascular system can have issues causing diseases. These diseases affect the working of the entire vascular system. A vascular disease can be treated most commonly through a vascular surgery.
At Vinita Hospital, the best vascular surgeon in Chennai has an expertise in using the surgical techniques to treat various kinds of vascular diseases. This vascular surgery hospital in Chennai provides comprehensive diagnosis, treatment, and overall management of all kinds of vascular diseases.
What are Vascular Diseases?
The arterial disease affects most of the people at an older age, especially in those who have high-risk factors like high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, a sedentary lifestyle, a family history, poor nutritional habits or addiction to heavy smoking habits.
Usually, patients with poor circulation have diseased arteries in their entire body. Arteries are usually affected in the legs, heart, and neck. The severity of the disease and if left untreated can make a tremendous difference in the clinical outcome of a vascular disease, characterized by limb amputations, stroke, or death.
Vascular diseases can affect any of the vascular system’s components. Some of the key diseases which are to be treated in the best vascular surgery hospital in Chennai like the Vinita Hospital include:
- Peripheral Artery Disease: This disease will cause a blockage of arteries in the legs creating pain in the leg and obstructs circulation. It can cause sores and lead to gangrene if not treated by the vascular surgery hospital in Chennai.
- Renal Artery Disease: In this disease, the arteries in the kidney might be blocked. This can cause high blood pressure, kidney failure, and may even lead to heart failure if not treated by the best vascular surgeon in Chennai.
- Intestinal Ischemic Syndrome: This disease is when the blood vessels in the intestine are blocked. It can affect the digestive organs functions.
- Raynaud’s Phenomenon: The arteries of the finger are very much affected causing spasms. This happens due to cold weather.
- Carotid Artery Disease: The carotid arteries that help in supplying blood to the brain can be blocked and can even cause a stroke.
- Carotid Artery Dissection: It happens when there is a tear in the artery wall’s layer. It can cause blood leakage where vascular surgery in Chennai is essential.
- Buerger’s Disease: This affects arteries of the legs and arms, which may be blocked. As a result, blood supply to the feet and hands can be affected and needs to be treated by the vascular surgery hospital in Chennai because it may cause pain and gangrene.
- Carotid Artery Aneurysm: An aneurysm caused when the blood vessel wall bulges, and weakens the wall. It can even lead to a rupture of the aneurysm, leading to loss of consciousness.
- Aortic Aneurysm: is a bulge or aneurysm that occurs in the aorta, the main blood vessel in the heart. It can cause breathing problems, chest pain, loss of consciousness, and even death if there is a burst in the aneurysm.
- Varicose Veins: The veins can have damaged valves and the veins can bulge and appear purple. It can cause pain and swelling in the legs if not treated at the best vascular surgery hospital in Chennai.
- Spider Veins: These are caused by capillary swelling, and are seen on the legs and feet. These are not harmful, but it may lead to bruising.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: This is the formation of a clot in a vein, in the legs. Limited movement of the leg or injury leads to clot formation. It can cause pain, swelling, and cramps. If the clot breaks off and moves to the lungs, you have to check with the vascular surgeon in Chennai immediately else it may cause serious problems.
- May-Thurner Syndrome: It refers to compression of the venous outflow tract in the lower extremities. It may cause swelling pain, or lead to deep vein thrombosis.
- Pulmonary Embolism: When a blood clot travels to the lungs, it can cause pulmonary embolism leading to chest pain, difficulty in breathing, and coughing blood. If the clot is large, approach the vascular surgery hospital in Chennai immediately or else it can lead to death.
- Lymphedema: This is a condition where fluid builds up in the lymphatic system causing swelling and pain. It will lead to complications if not treated properly.
Vascular Surgery Treatments and Procedures
The surgery and procedures involved in treating vascular diseases depend on their type and severity. This best vascular surgery hospital in Chennai offers the following treatment options that involve making lifestyle changes, adopting medications, and catheter-based endovascular methods or surgical interventions.
Minimally Invasive Endovascular Treatment Options
- Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Repair (TEVAR): This minimally invasive endovascular procedure is performed in the best vascular surgery hospital in Chennai to treat patients with thoracic aortic aneurysms. It can be incisionless, or a small incision is made in the groin to advance a catheter which is followed by a stent-graft to treat the aneurysm.
- Endovascular Aneurysm Repair: It follows a similar procedure to TEVAR and is effectively used to treat patients with the abdominal aortic aneurysm.
- Angioplasty and Stenting: Here, a catheter-guided balloon is used by the vascular surgery hospital in Chennai to open a narrowed artery. Angioplasty and stenting can be effective treatments for vertebrobasilar diseases, cerebrovascular disease, and peripheral arterial disease.
- Fenestrated Endovascular Aneurysm Repair: A small incision is made in the groin that helps in the placement of a stent-graft to preserve blood flow to the intestines, stomach, liver and kidneys.
- Percutaneous or Laser Atherectomy: In this procedure, the vascular surgeon in Chennai inserts a specialised catheter into a blocked artery to get rid of the atherosclerotic plaque build-up from within the vessel.
- Open Abdominal Aortic Surgery: An abdominal incision is made for gaining an access to the abdominal aorta beside fixing a fabric graft into place to treat conditions like aortoiliac occlusive disease and abdominal aortic aneurysm.
- Bypass Surgery: This is used by the best vascular surgery hospital in Chennai to redirect blood flow around an area of blockage. The graft used can be acquired from a patient’s vein or a synthetic material will be used. This vascular surgery in Chennai is used to treat vertebrobasilar disease, renal vascular disease, peripheral arterial disease, and mesenteric vascular disease.
- Open Carotid and Femoral Endarterectomy: The plaque which is build up on the inner lining of the artery is surgically removed. This vascular surgery in Chennai is followed after the treatment of peripheral arterial disease, cerebrovascular disease, and vertebrobasilar disease.
Thus, vascular diseases can be prevented by following a healthy lifestyle like quitting smoking, eating a healthy diet, doing regular exercises, taking proper care of the hands and feet and doing regular check-ups at the best vascular surgery hospital in Chennai like the Vinita Hospital to get cutting-edge treatment.
Read also Gynaecology Hospital in Chennai