Nephrology is the branch under the subspecialties of internal medicine that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of renal or kidney-related diseases. A human body comprises two kidneys – the bean-shaped organs which are located on either side in the retroperitoneal space. This vital organ is responsible for cleaning waste products and excess fluid from the body.
Vinita Health Hospital offers a comprehensive care to the patients suffering from a spectrum of acute and chronic kidney diseases. We are the best nephrology hospital in Chennai renowned for using cutting-edge facilities and treatment options. The experts in this department consistently invest their time, effort, and expertise to help people to ensure a healthy kidney through various non-invasive procedures.
Our experienced nephrologist in Chennai is acclaimed for the rare clinical skills to provide a top-notch treatment to people of all classes ranging from children to adults. We have a team of professionals including kidney transplant specialists, urologists, nephrologists, and other nursing staff to handle all our patients with utmost care.
Diseases Treated Under the Department of Nephrology in Chennai
Nephrology in Chennai focuses on ensuring the normal functioning of kidneys by treating a variety of conditions that include:
- Urine abnormalities such as excess excretion of sugar, blood, protein, casts, and crystals.
- Cancers of the bladder, kidneys, and urethra.
- Glomerular complications affecting the tiny filtering systems of the kidneys.
- Acute, long-term, sudden, or chronic renal failure.
- Infections in the kidneys.
- Effects of diseases like hypertension and diabetes.
- Acid-base fluctuations.
- Bladder and kidney stones.
- Nephritis and nephrotic syndrome.
- Renal vascular diseases disturb the blood vessel networks within the kidneys.
- Tubulointerstitial diseases that affect the kidneys tubules.
- Autoimmune diseases including autoimmune vasculitis and lupus.
- Dialysis and its associated long-term complications.
- Renal Transplantations.
- Polycystic kidneys diseases which may be congenital, genetic, or inherited
- Anaemia and bone disease related to kidney disease.
All these diseases require a comprehensive treatment by the nephrologist in Chennai at the initial stage itself else it would worsen the disease.
The other conditions which are treated by the best nephrology hospital in Chennai has to be specialized in offering evaluation for a broad range of kidney-related complications including:
- Amyloidosis: This disease is characterized by amyloids or the abnormal growth of protein in different parts of the body.
- Electrolyte Disorders: This condition has to be treated by the best nephrology hospital in Chennai because it can lead to an abnormal imbalance of minerals in the body resulting in potentially harmful damage to organs like the brain and muscles.
- Diabetic Kidney Disorder: The long-standing complications of diabetes also contribute to kidney diseases and can be one of the prominent causes of kidney failure.
- Glomerulonephritis: This kind of disease has to be treated by the nephrologist in Chennai because it can develop due to inflammation in tiny kidney organs called glomeruli.
- Hypertension (Chronic Hypertension): It refers to a consistent increase in blood pressure levels. This condition affects different body organs resulting in illnesses and involves heart failure, aneurysm, stroke and kidney failures.
- Lupus Nephritis: This is a condition in which inflammation occurs in the kidneys due to systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) which is an autoimmune disease.
- Kidney Failure: Also known as renal failure, this medical condition needs to be treated at the best nephrology hospital in Chennai because it makes the kidneys incapable of filtering out waste products from the blood.
- Kidney Disease: kidney diseases comprise a lot of damage to the organ resulting in its system failure. These complications make kidneys inefficient to eject waste and excess fluid from the body.
- Nephrotic Syndrome: This kidney disorder occurs due to damage in the kidney’s small blood cells. This syndrome leads to excretion of excessive protein in your urine.
- Pyelonephritis: This bacterial infection leads to inflammation of substances in the kidney.
- Polycystic Kidney Disorder: This genetic disorder requires immediate treatment from the best nephrology hospital in Chennai because it can develop clusters of cysts within kidneys and result in high blood pressure or kidney failure.
- Renal Insufficiency: This medical condition reduces blood flow to the kidneys significantly due to renal artery diseases leading to poor functioning of the kidneys.
Signs and Symptoms of Kidney Diseases
Some common signs and symptoms that indicate the risk of severe renal complications include:
- Frequent swelling in the ankles, legs, or feet
- Severe headaches
- Dry or itchiness in the skin
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Trouble in concentrating
- Unexplained memory problems, confusion, or trouble focusing
- Pain or stiffness in the joints
- Unexplained blood pressure
- Abnormal weight loss
- Muscle cramps, weakness or numbness
- Exhaustion and trouble in sleeping
- Blood in the urine (haematuria)
- Reduced urine output but not related to dehydration
Diagnosis and Treatments Options for Nephrology Diseases
There are several medical procedures under the department of nephrology in Chennai for diagnosing, monitoring, and treating kidney diseases. Some of the common ones are:
- CT scan
- Kidney transplant
The state-of-the-art dialysis unit with the latest equipment and facilities for nephrology treatment at Vinita Health Hospital, the best nephrology hospital in Chennai operates 24/7 at full capacity. It deals with various kinds of services at the department of nephrology in Chennai including:
Peritoneal Dialysis (CPD)
During peritoneal dialysis, a fluid called the dialysate is injected into the peritoneal or abdominal cavity using a catheter. The nephrologist from the best nephrologist hospital in Chennai will allow the dialysate to sit there for several hours while waste products are removed from the capillaries into the liquid. The dialysate will then be drained out.
Liver Dialysis (MARS Therapy)
The MARS (Molecular Adsorbent Recirculating System) therapy is based on the concept of albumin dialysis which is quite effective to eliminate the protein-bound and water-soluble toxins. The treatment procedure facilitates liver regeneration and stabilisation of the function of the vital organs.
Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT)
Patients who are critically ill are prone to have a high metabolic rate as their bodies try to recover from the disease. They need vasoactive drugs for the continuous waste elimination and simultaneously receive large volumes of fluid in the form of nutritional, drug infusions and inotropic agents. Therefore, CRRT (continuous renal replacement therapy) is followed at the best nephrology hospital in Chennai to help the patient in removing wastes and water gently without causing hypotension. It is also a slow form of haemodialysis, where the blood is taken out and pumped through a hemofilter.
Patients with kidney failure have to undergo dialysis or kidney transplantation. It requires frequent visits to the best nephrology hospital in Chennai for treatments. But with a liver transplant, there is no chance to depend on a dialysis machine and the patient can also lead a better quality of life.
Combined Liver & Kidney Transplant and Kidney Biopsy
Combined liver and kidney transplantation are usually done in patients with cirrhosis and other associated kidney diseases. During a kidney biopsy, the nephrologist in Chennai will collect samples of the kidney for checking in great detail under special microscopes. It can be done either through an open biopsy or percutaneous biopsy.
Tests and procedures
A nephrologist is a medical doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, treatment, and management of kidney diseases and disorders. Some of the tests and procedures that a nephrologist may use to evaluate and manage kidney problems include:
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- Imaging tests
- Kidney transplantation
- Lifestyle modifications: In addition to medical treatments, nephrologists may recommend lifestyle modifications such as dietary changes, exercise, and quitting smoking to help manage kidney disease.
The nephrology department in Vinita Health Hospital in Chennai has a dedicated team of nephrologists, physician assistants, dialysis technicians, dialysis assistants, dialysis nurses, and a transplant coordinator along with the standard dialysis unit and latest technology to provides all types of dialysis for the well-being of the patient.
Read also Diabetology Hospital in Chennai