Orthopaedics is a medical specialty that focuses on the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of conditions and injuries related to the musculoskeletal system, which includes bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles, and nerves. In case of injuries, the orthopaedic specialist in Chennai is specially trained to diagnose and treat a wide range of musculoskeletal conditions, encompassing fractures, arthritis, sprains, strains, and various other conditions that impact the well-being of bones, joints and soft tissues.
Orthopedic Conditions Addressed by Orthopedic Specialists
Some of the most common orthopedic problems that patients seek treatment for from the best orthopaedic doctor in Chennai include:
- Osteoarthritis: This is the most common type of arthritis, and it occurs when the cartilage between bones wears down over time, leading to pain and stiffness in the joints.
- Fractures: A fracture is a broken bone that can be caused by trauma, overuse, or weakening of the bone due to osteoporosis.
- Sprains and strains: These are common injuries that occur when a ligament or muscle is stretched or torn due to sudden movements or overuse.
- Tendinitis: This is a condition that occurs when a tendon becomes inflamed and painful, often due to overuse or repetitive motions.
- Rotator cuff tear: This is a common shoulder injury that occurs when one or more of the tendons in the rotator cuff are torn.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: This is a condition that occurs when the median nerve in the wrist is compressed, leading to pain, numbness, and tingling in the hand and fingers.
- Herniated disc: This is a condition that requires comprehensive care by the orthopaedic specialist in Chennai as it occurs when a spinal disc is pushed out of place, leading to pain and numbness in the back and/or legs.
- Plantar fasciitis: This is a condition that occurs when the plantar fascia, a thick band of tissue in the foot, becomes inflamed and painful.
- Scoliosis: This is a condition that causes an abnormal curvature of the spine, which can lead to back pain and other complications.
- Tennis elbow: This is a condition that occurs when the tendons in the elbow become inflamed and painful, often due to overuse.
When to Consult an Orthopedic Doctor: Recognizing Signs and Symptoms
The symptoms of orthopedic problems can vary depending on the specific condition, but some common symptoms may include:
- Pain: Pain in the affected area is one of the most common symptoms of orthopedic problems. The pain may be constant or intermittent and may be described as sharp, dull, or achy.
- Stiffness: Stiffness in the joints or muscles can make it difficult to move the affected body part.
- Swelling: Swelling in the affected area may be present, which can be due to inflammation or accumulation of fluid.
- Weakness: Weakness in the muscles or joints can make it difficult to perform certain movements requiring an immediate attention from the best orthopaedic doctor in Chennai.
- Numbness or tingling: Numbness or tingling in the affected area can be a sign of nerve compression or damage.
- Limited range of motion: Limited range of motion in the affected joint or limb can make it difficult to perform certain activities.
- Instability: Instability in the joint can cause the affected limb to give way or feel unstable.
- Deformity: In some cases, orthopedic problems can cause visible deformities or changes in the shape or alignment of the affected body part.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is important to consult with the orthopaedic specialist in Chennai for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. Early intervention and treatment can help prevent further damage and improve the overall outcome.
Orthopedic procedures can be classified into two main categories: surgical and non-surgical. Here are some common orthopedic procedures:
Surgical Procedures Offered by Orthopaedic Specialist in Chennai
Arthroscopy is a minimally invasive surgical procedure used to diagnose and treat problems within a joint. During an arthroscopy, a small camera, called an arthroscope, is inserted through a small incision into the joint. The camera allows the best orthopaedic doctor in Chennai to view the joint on a monitor and diagnose the problem. In addition to the camera, small instruments can be inserted through additional incisions to treat the problem.
Arthroscopy can be used to diagnose and treat a variety of joint problems, including:
- Meniscal tears in the knee
- Cartilage damage or wear in the knee, shoulder, hip, ankle, or wrist
- Ligament tears or instability in the knee, shoulder, or ankle
- Inflamed synovial tissue in the knee, shoulder, or wrist
- Loose bodies in the joint
- Joint infections
- Joint fractures
Arthroscopy is performed under local or general anesthesia, depending on the joint and procedure. After the procedure, patients can expect to experience some soreness and swelling for several days, but recovery is generally faster and less painful than with open surgery. Physical therapy may be recommended to restore range of motion and strength to the joint.
Joint replacement is a surgical intervention where a damaged joint is replaced with an artificial joint. The most common joints that are replaced are the hip, knee, and shoulder, but joint replacement can also be done on other joints such as the ankle, wrist, and elbow.
During the procedure, the orthopaedic specialist in Chennai will make an incision over the affected joint and remove the damaged bone and cartilage. The surgeon will then replace the joint with a prosthesis made of metal, plastic, or ceramic components. The prosthesis is designed to mimic the natural shape and movement of the joint.
After the procedure, patients will typically spend a few days in the ortho hospital to recover and receive physical therapy. They may be able to walk with assistance soon after the surgery, and most patients can resume normal activities within a few weeks to a few months, depending on the joint that was replaced and the patient’s overall health and recovery.
Joint replacement surgery can help relieve pain, improve mobility, and restore function to the affected joint. However, like all surgeries, there are risks associated with joint replacement, such as infection, blood clots, and implant failure.
Fracture repair is a surgical procedure that involves realigning and stabilizing a broken bone to allow it to heal properly. The specific surgical approach and techniques used will depend on the type and location of the fracture.
The most common technique for fracture repair is open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF). During ORIF, an incision is made over the fractured bone, and the bone fragments are realigned and held together with plates, screws, and/or rods. In some cases, a bone graft may be used by the orthopaedic specialist in Chennai to help the bone heal.
Another technique for fracture repair is closed reduction and external fixation. This approach involves realigning the bone fragments without making an incision, using traction and external fixation devices such as pins, wires, or screws that are inserted into the bone above and below the fracture and held in place with an external frame.
After the fracture repair surgery, patients will typically spend some time in the best orthopaedics hospital in Chennai to recover and receive physical therapy. The length of time required for recovery will depend on the type and severity of the fracture, as well as the patient’s overall health and recovery. In some cases, a cast or brace may be used to immobilize the affected area and protect the healing bone.
Fracture repair surgery can help to restore the strength and stability of the bone, reduce pain, and improve overall function. However, like all surgeries, there are risks associated with fracture repair, such as infection, nerve damage, and poor bone healing. Your orthopaedic specialist in Chennai will discuss the procedure with you in detail, including the risks and benefits, to help you make an informed decision about your treatment.
Spinal surgery is a procedure that is performed to treat conditions affecting the spinal column, including the vertebrae, discs, spinal cord, and surrounding tissues. The specific type of spinal surgery performed will depend on the underlying condition and the location and severity of the problem.
Some of the most common types of spinal surgery performed at the best orthopaedics hospital in Chennai include:
- Discectomy: A surgical procedure in which a herniated or damaged disc is removed to relieve pressure on the spinal nerves.
- Spinal fusion: A surgical procedure in which two or more vertebrae are fused together to provide stability and prevent movement that can cause pain or nerve irritation.
- Laminectomy: A surgical procedure in which a portion of the vertebrae, known as the lamina, is removed to relieve pressure on the spinal cord or nerves.
- Foraminotomy: A surgical procedure in which the bony opening through which spinal nerves exit the spine is enlarged to relieve pressure on the nerves.
- Disc replacement: A surgical procedure in which a damaged or degenerated disc is removed and replaced with an artificial disc.
Spinal surgery can be performed by the orthopaedic specialist in Chennai using traditional open surgery techniques or minimally invasive techniques, depending on the specific procedure and the patient’s condition. Recovery time after spinal surgery will vary depending on the type and complexity of the procedure, as well as the patient’s overall health and recovery.
Ligament reconstruction is a surgical procedure that is performed to repair or replace a torn or damaged ligament. Ligaments are strong bands of tissue that connect bones to each other and provide stability to the joints. They can become torn or damaged due to sports injuries, trauma, or overuse.
During a ligament reconstruction procedure, the orthopaedic specialist in Chennai will make an incision near the affected joint and remove the damaged ligament. The surgeon will then either repair the torn ligament or replace it with a graft made of tissue from the patient’s own body or a donor.
The most common type of ligament reconstruction is anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction. This procedure is commonly performed in patients who have suffered an ACL tear, which is a common knee injury in athletes.
Non – Surgical Procedures Offered by Orthopaedic Specialist in Chennai
- Physical therapy: A non-invasive treatment that involves stretching and strengthening exercises, manual therapy, and other techniques to improve mobility, flexibility, and function.
- Medications: Medications such as anti-inflammatory drugs, pain relievers, and muscle relaxants may be prescribed to relieve pain and inflammation.
- Injections: Steroid injections, viscosupplementation injections, and nerve blocks may be used to relieve pain and inflammation.
- Bracing or splinting: Supportive devices such as braces, splints, or casts may be used to immobilize or support an injured limb or joint.
The specific treatment or procedure recommended will depend on the patient’s condition, severity of the injury, and individual needs. Your best orthopaedic doctor in Chennai will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan.
Tips for Maintaining Bone Health and Preventing Orthopedic Issues
- Maintain a healthy weight: Excess weight can put extra stress on your joints, leading to joint pain and other orthopedic problems.
- Stay physically active: Regular exercise can help keep your muscles, bones, and joints strong and healthy. It can also help prevent injuries.
- Use proper form and technique during physical activity: Using the proper form and technique when exercising or participating in sports can help prevent injuries.
- Wear appropriate footwear: Wearing shoes that fit properly and are designed for the activity you are doing can help prevent foot and ankle injuries.
- Take breaks and vary your activities: Taking regular breaks and varying your activities can help prevent overuse injuries.
- Practice proper posture: Maintaining good posture aids in preventing back and neck pain.
- Eat a healthy diet: Eating a diet that is rich in calcium and vitamin D can help keep your bones strong and healthy.
- Avoid smoking and limit alcohol consumption: Smoking and excessive alcohol consumption can increase your risk of developing osteoporosis and other orthopedic problems.
- Get regular check-ups: Regular check-ups with your doctor at the best orthopaedics hospital in Chennai can help identify orthopedic problems early and prevent them from becoming more serious.
Post-surgery care for orthopedic patients is important to help ensure proper healing and recovery. Here are some general tips for post-surgery care:
- Follow your doctor’s instructions: Your best orthopaedic specialist in Chennai will provide specific instructions on how to care for the surgical site, manage pain, and perform physical therapy exercises.
- Keep the surgical site clean and dry: It is important to keep the surgical site clean and dry to prevent infection. Follow your doctor’s instructions on how to clean and dress the surgical site.
- Manage pain: Your doctor will provide instructions on how to manage pain after surgery. This may include taking pain medication or using ice or heat therapy.
- Perform physical therapy exercises: Physical therapy exercises are important for restoring strength and mobility after surgery. Follow your doctor’s instructions on how to perform these exercises.
- Use assistive devices: Assistive devices such as crutches, walkers, or braces may be necessary to help with mobility and support during the recovery period.
- Attend all follow-up appointments: Follow-up appointments with the ortho specialists at the best orthopaedics hospital in Chennai are important for monitoring the healing process and adjusting the treatment plan as necessary.
- Maintain a healthy diet: Eating a healthy diet can help support healing and recovery after surgery.
- Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consumption: Smoking and excessive alcohol consumption can interfere with healing and recovery after surgery.
- Rest and get enough sleep: Proper rest and sleep are important for healing and recovery after surgery.
By following these post-surgery care tips, you can help ensure proper healing and recovery after orthopedic surgery.
To conclude, when it comes to your musculoskeletal health and well-being, choosing the best orthopaedic specialist in Chennai is of paramount importance. With a dedicated focus on joint and bone care, these experienced specialists offer advanced treatments and surgical interventions that can significantly enhance your mobility and overall quality of life. Don’t let orthopedic concerns hold you back; take the first step towards a healthier, pain-free future by scheduling a consultation with a trusted orthopedic surgeon in Chennai today.