Knee replacement surgery is a common and important procedure for people who suffer from knee pain, stiffness, and limited mobility due to osteoarthritis or other knee conditions. The surgery involves removing the damaged bone and cartilage and replacing it with a prosthetic joint. This can relieve pain, improve mobility, and help people resume their normal daily activities. The best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai Dr. M. Subramanian (MS Ortho FRCS) practicing here at Vinita Hospital opined that there is a huge importance of knee replacement surgery nowadays.
The importance of knee replacement surgery can be seen in the following ways:
- Pain Relief: Knee replacement surgery can alleviate the chronic pain that is often associated with knee problems.
- Improved Mobility: After knee replacement surgery, many people find that they can move more easily and perform tasks they were previously unable to do.
- Increased Quality of Life: The relief from pain and improved mobility can significantly improve a person’s quality of life.
- Cost-effective: In the long run, knee replacement surgery can be cost-effective, as it can reduce the need for ongoing medical treatments and improve overall health and well-being, thus reducing medical costs.
What is Knee Replacement Surgery?
When there is damage in the knee joint due to some occurrences, Doctors who are Knee Replacement Surgeons choose to perform this task which is knee replacement surgery or knee arthroplasty. For that, they use prostheses in the form of plastic, metal, or ceramic parts. This is performed to cap the ends of the bones figuring the knee joint, along with the kneecap. So, if you’re searching for a Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai, kindly contact Vinita Hospital.
Types of Knee Replacement Surgery
- Total Knee Replacement (TKR): This is the most common type of knee replacement surgery, where the damaged or worn-out parts of the knee joint are removed and replaced with artificial components.
- Partial Knee Replacement (PKR): This surgery is used to treat only one side of the knee that is affected by osteoarthritis. It is a minimally invasive procedure and results in a faster recovery time.
Who is a Knee Replacement Surgeon?
Knee Replacement Surgeons are experts who diagnose, treat, and prevent knee-related injuries and conditions. The Knee Specialist will first implement nonsurgical methods like physical therapy and anti-inflammatory medications to relieve your knee pain.
If conservative treatments fail to address the disorder or overcome the issue and if the pain gets debilitating, your Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai may recommend a knee replacement surgery in Chennai to provide the best outcome.
What are the Causes of Knee Surgery?
A person who comes up with certain issues relating to the knee should approach a Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai. Some of the knee disorders include:
1. Severe pain or stiffness in the knee.
2. Swelling in the knee joints.
3. Knee deformity: Noticeable arch on the inside and outside of the knee.
4. Inability to move the knee.
5. Difficulty in walking.
6. Knee fractures.
7. Sports injuries.
8. Osteoarthritis: Wear and tear of the joints in the knee.
9. Rheumatoid Arthritis: Chronic knee inflammation.
10. Post-traumatic arthritis: Ligament tear affecting the knee cartilage.
You can consider visiting the best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai from Vinita Hospital as the experts here use cutting-edge treatments besides offering a cost-effective knee replacement in Chennai.
Signs That You Should See a Knee Replacement Surgeon
When your healthcare provider diagnoses you with a knee problem, you should not delay in seeking immediate medical help by consulting with the best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai.
The following are the reasons to visit the best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai.
- When you have significant swelling in the knee joints.
- When there is uncontrollable pain after taking anti-inflammatory medications or steroids for more than a week.
- When the knee pain is accompanied by chills or fever.
- When there is intense pain while moving your leg.
- When you experience an inability to bear your body weight.
- When there is a deformity in the knee joints.
- When there is redness, warmth, or tenderness around the joint.
- When you hear a popping noise at the time your knee was injured.
If you experience any one or more of the above symptoms, please consult with the Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai for further evaluation as they can guide you through the latest treatments to help you restore to your normal activities making you lead a healthy lifestyle.
The Best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai
The knee replacement surgeons at Vinita Hospital have created a reputation for providing superlative and ground-breaking knee replacement in Chennai. The reason behind it is that the surgeons here are not only good at communicating with patients but are also better listeners. Some of the best knee replacement surgeons here are:
Dr. M. Subramanian
(MS Ortho FRCS)
Dr. M. Subramanian is a renowned senior consultant orthopaedic surgeon here. This best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai has more years of expertise in the field of orthopaedics and has performed multiple knee surgeries. He is much appreciated for his compassion and cares in helping the patients to be prepared for knee replacement surgical treatments both mentally and physically.
He specializes in revision knee arthroplasty, joint pain treatment, minimally invasive knee correction, trauma surgery, etc. His main goal is to optimize knee function, decrease knee injury or pain, and aid patients in leading a healthy life with modern scientifically proven approaches.
Available Time: Open For You 24/7
Dr. S. Manikkavelayutham
(MBBS, MS – Orthopaedics)
Dr. S. Manikkavelayutham is a well-known Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai having about two decades of experience in handling patients with knee disorders or knee injuries. He is good at performing trauma and joint knee replacement surgery and is specialized in advanced fracture management and deformity correction.
He treats patients of all ages by clarifying their doubts about the treatment options for knee replacement surgery in Chennai and offers sophisticated care to aid them in having a speedy recovery.
Address: 70, Josier Street, Nungambakkam, Chennai-600034.
Available Time: Open For You 24/7
Dr. A. Subair Khan
(M. S (Ortho), M.ch (Ortho), F.I.A.A, Fellow in Arthroscopy (India, Holland)
Dr. A. Subair Khan, the Founder, and Managing Director of Orthomed Hospital, is a renowned knee replacement specialist. This best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai is known for his profound expertise in handling various arthroscopy surgeries besides treating sports injuries. With his vast experience, he provides sophisticated treatments to patients who approach him with primary and complex issues.
Moreover, he has performed over 3000 successful arthroscopic surgeries and is a pioneer in this field. He has also handled complex surgeries related to the elbow, ankle, hip joints, and shoulder and has aided them to improve their quality of life.
Address: New No. 83 (43), Royapettah High Road, Royapettah, Chennai – 600014.
Available Time: 24X7
Dr. L. Bharath
(MBBS, MS (Ortho), FRCS (UK))
Dr. L. Bharath from Bharath Orthopaedics is a certified Orthopedic Surgeon in Chennai with over a decade of experience in knee and hip replacement procedures. He has successfully completed over 10,000 surgeries and specializes in fast-track recovery joint replacement techniques.
This best Knee Replacement Surgeon is a pioneer in SMART knee replacement technologies, ensuring painless procedures, fast recovery, quick rehabilitation, and a lower chance of infection after surgery. His invaluable professional experience makes him a trusted and respected orthopedic surgeon in his field, improving joint function and quality of life for his patients.
Address: No. 73/28, Dr.Alagappa Road, Purasawalakam, Chennai-600 084.
Available Time: Mon-Sat 9 am to 8 pm | Sun – 10 am to 3 pm
Dr. J. Panthala Rajakumaran
(MBBS, MS. Ortho)
At VS Hospitals in Chennai, Dr. J. Panthala Rajakumaran specializes in trauma and orthopaedic Surgery. He offers treatment options for a range of conditions including fractures, arthritis, shoulder pain, neck pain, back pain, and deformities. As a member of both the TMC and TNOA, he has completed his MBBS and MS from prestigious universities in India.
This best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai is dedicated to staying up-to-date with the latest advancements in his field and regularly attends workshops and conferences. Known for his hardworking nature and commitment to his patients, he exhausts all possible options to ensure a speedy recovery.
Address: #815/306, Poonamalle High Rd, Kilpauk, Chennai – 600010.
Available Time: 24X7
Dr. Prakash Selvam
(MBBS, MS – Orthopaedics)
Dr. Prakash Selvam is a highly regarded orthopedic surgeon with an impressive 21-year track record of experience in his field. His practice is notably associated with CTS Speciality Clinic and Apollo Hospital. This best knee replacement surgeon in Chennai offers a wide range of services to address orthopedic concerns, including orthopedic surgery and trauma surgery, catering to patients seeking relief from various musculoskeletal issues.
Additionally, he specializes in treating joint pain and provides advanced solutions such as knee braces for osteoarthritis. Moreover, he offers comprehensive physiotherapy for sports injury rehabilitation, ensuring a holistic approach to healing and recovery for his patients.
Address: V2, Plot 4047, 4th Main Rd, V Block, Anna Nagar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600040.
Available Time: 24×7
Why Knee Replacement Surgery is Required?
If someone suffers from pain, stiffness, unsteadiness, or loss of function in the knee that is not allowing them to live peacefully and also disturbs their daily life activities, then they may have to get help from the best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai from one of the best hospitals to undergo a knee replacement surgery in Chennai.
Considering a healthy bone, the end of our thigh bones and shin bones are protected with hard cartilage. With the help of this cartilage, the bones are able to move against each other with an easier approach. But when knee-related conditions like arthritis affect the person, it can damage the hard cartilage that later becomes thin resulting in a probability of the cartilage wearing away. This activity will allow the bones to rub against each other along with wear down.
When someone goes through knee replacement in Chennai, the worn ends of the bones along with any of the residual hard cartilage will be removed and replaced with a prosthesis. Or, it can vary according to the patient’s condition for knee replacement surgery in Chennai. With the support of the prosthesis, the patient will be capable of moving his joint freely and it also helps to restore his stability. This overall activity will aid in relieving the existing pain after some time.
How Do Doctors Perform Knee Replacement Surgery?
Before the surgery, the patient will undergo a thorough physical examination, medical history review, and imaging tests to determine the extent of the damage to the knee joint and to rule out any underlying medical conditions that could interfere with the surgery or recovery process.
On the day of the surgery, the patient will be given general anesthesia or a spinal block to numb the lower body. The surgeon will then make an incision in the front of the knee and carefully move aside the muscles and other tissues to gain access to the joint. The damaged or diseased parts of the joint, including the ends of the femur and tibia bones and the kneecap, will be removed using specialized tools.
The surgeon will then prepare the remaining bone surfaces for the placement of the artificial joint components. This may involve trimming or shaping the bone to fit the components and adding a special cement or adhesive to hold them in place.
Once the bone preparation is complete, the surgeon will position the artificial joint components in place, including the metal femoral component, the metal tibial component, and the plastic spacer that sits between them. The components may be held in place using screws, pins, or other fixation devices.
After the components are in place, the best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai will test the joint’s range of motion and make any necessary adjustments to ensure proper fit and function. The muscles and other tissues will then be carefully repositioned, and the incision will be closed using sutures or staples.
Following the surgery, the patient will be closely monitored in the recovery room and may be given pain medications, antibiotics, and blood thinners to prevent complications such as infection and blood clots. Physical therapy will begin within a day or two of the surgery to help the patient regain strength and mobility.
How long does it take to recover after knee replacement surgery?
Recovery time for knee replacement surgery can vary from patient to patient depending on several factors, including the patient’s overall health, the extent of the surgery, and their adherence to rehabilitation protocols.
1. Immediately Following Surgery: Patients are typically hospitalized for 1-3 days to monitor their recovery and manage pain.
2. 2-3 Weeks after Surgery: Patients will likely still be using crutches or a walker and will begin physical therapy to improve strength and range of motion.
3. 4-6 Weeks after Surgery: Patients may be able to walk without assistance, but may still experience some pain and stiffness. Physical therapy will continue to help regain strength and flexibility.
4. 3 Months After Surgery: Most patients will be able to resume their normal daily activities, such as driving and light exercise.
5. 6 Months After Surgery: Patients may be able to resume more strenuous activities, such as hiking or playing sports, depending on their progress and the advice of their doctor.
The best knee replacement surgeon in Chennai will be able to provide more specific guidance on recovery time based on your individual circumstances.
What are the side effects of Knee replacement?
Like any surgery, knee replacement surgery can have potential side effects and complications. Some of the most common side effects of knee replacement surgery include:
1. Pain: Pain and discomfort are common following knee replacement surgery, but these can usually be managed with pain medication.
2. Swelling: Swelling of the knee and surrounding area is also common and typically resolves within a few weeks.
3. Stiffness: It is normal to experience stiffness in the knee after surgery, but this can be improved with physical therapy.
4. Bruising: Bruising around the incision site is common and typically resolves on its own within a few weeks.
5. Infection: Infections can occur after any surgery, including knee replacement surgery. Patients will be given antibiotics to reduce the risk of infection.
6. Blood Clots: Blood clots can form in the leg or lungs after knee replacement surgery. Patients will be given blood thinners to reduce the risk of blood clots.
7. Nerve Damage: Nerve damage is rare but can occur during surgery. This can result in numbness, weakness, or pain in the affected leg.
8. Prosthesis Problems: The artificial joint can become loose or dislocated, requiring additional surgery to correct the issue.
9. Allergic Reactions: Some patients may experience an allergic reaction to the materials used in the knee implant.
It is important for patients to discuss these potential side effects with the best knee replacement surgeon in Chennai before undergoing knee replacement surgery.
What is the duration of stay at the hospital, and what is the recovery time for knee replacement surgery?
The duration of hospital stays and recovery time for knee replacement surgery can vary depending on several factors. They include:
1. Hospital Stay: Most patients stay in the hospital for 1-3 days after knee replacement surgery, but this can vary depending on the patient’s progress and their doctor’s recommendations.
2. Rehabilitation: Physical therapy typically begins within 24 hours of surgery and continues for several weeks after discharge from the hospital.
3. Recovery Time: The initial recovery period following knee replacement surgery usually lasts around 6-8 weeks, but complete recovery and return to full activity may take several months.
4. Return to Activities: Most patients can resume driving and light exercise within 3 months after surgery. Strenuous activities such as hiking, playing sports, or running may be allowed after 6 months or more, depending on the patient’s progress and their doctor’s recommendations.
Knee Replacement Surgery Procedure
Knee replacement surgery is a procedure done by the best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai here at Vinita Hospital in which a damaged knee joint is removed and replaced with a new artificial joint. The procedure is usually performed under general anesthesia and takes about two hours to complete.
The steps involved in knee replacement surgery done by the best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai are:
- Anesthesia: Before the surgery, the patient is given general anesthesia to put them to sleep during the procedure.
- Incision: The surgeon makes an incision on the knee, exposing the damaged joint.
- Removing the Damaged Joint: The surgeon removes the damaged bone and cartilage from the knee joint.
- Preparing the Bone: The surgeon prepares the remaining bone by shaping it to accept the new joint.
- Placing the Artificial Joint: The surgeon places the new artificial joint into the prepared area. The joint is held in place by cement or special materials that allow it to bond to the bone.
- Closing the Incision: The incision is closed using sutures or staples, and a sterile dressing is applied to the wound.
Before the Surgery
Consult with the best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai – Dr. S. Manikkavelayutham by scheduling an appointment with your doctor to discuss the procedure and any concerns you may have.
- Prepare Your Home: Make sure your home is equipped with any necessary mobility aids and is accessible for post-operative needs.
- Stop Smoking: If you smoke, it is important to stop as soon as possible, as smoking can slow down the healing process.
- Medications: Make sure you are aware of any medications you need to stop taking before the surgery and have a list of all medications you are currently taking.
- Follow Pre-Operative Instructions: Your doctor may give you instructions regarding fasting, hydration, and avoiding certain medications before the surgery.
- Lab Work: Your doctor may request lab work or imaging tests prior to the surgery.
- Discuss Any Medical Conditions: Inform your doctor of any medical conditions or allergies you may have.
- Review Rehabilitation Plan: Discuss the rehabilitation plan with your doctor and physical therapist.
- Emotional Preparation: Prepare yourself emotionally for the surgery and recovery process. Talk to your family and friends about the procedure and what support they can provide.
After the Surgery
After the surgery is done by the best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai, the patient is taken to the recovery room where they are monitored. The patient will start physical therapy within a few days after the surgery to regain strength and mobility.
Knee replacement surgery is a complex procedure that requires careful planning and precision. The success of the surgery depends on the skill and experience of the surgeon and the patient’s commitment to postoperative rehabilitation.
Benefits and Risks of Knee Replacement Surgery
Here are some of the benefits of knee replacement surgery:
Pain Relief: One of the primary benefits of knee replacement surgery is relief from chronic knee pain. The surgery removes damaged cartilage and bone from the knee joint, which reduces friction and inflammation, resulting in less pain.
Improved Mobility: Knee replacement surgery can also improve mobility, making it easier to perform daily activities like walking, climbing stairs, and bending. With proper rehabilitation, patients can regain their ability to participate in sports and recreational activities.
Better Quality of Life: Knee replacement surgery can significantly improve a patient’s overall quality of life, allowing them to live more comfortably and independently. Patients often report increased energy levels and a greater sense of well-being after surgery.
Long-Term Durability: The artificial knee joint used in the surgery is designed to last for many years, providing long-term relief from knee pain and improved mobility.
Reduction in Medications: After the surgery, patients often require less medication to manage their knee pain, reducing the risk of side effects associated with pain medication.
Also, the knee replacement surgery performed by the best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai is safe and effective to relieve chronic knee pain, improve mobility, and enhance the overall quality of life for patients.
Knee replacement surgery, similar to any medical procedure, conveys gambles. They include:
- Blood clusters in the leg vein or lungs.
- Heart attack.
- Nerve harm.
To conclude, knee replacement, especially the primary one, is considered to be one of the crucial dealings for most people who have a hope to go the right way besides getting a speedy recovery. In such cases, people can consult with the best Knee Replacement Surgeon in Chennai and opt for Vinita Hospital as it is preferred for a comprehensive and cost-effective treatment.
Read also Best Nephrologist in Chennai.