Nephrology is a specialty of internal medicine focusing on the treatment of diseases affecting the kidneys. As you know every human has two kidneys located below the ribcage on either side of the spine, special care has to be taken because it helps in vital functions like removes excess fluid or waste from the blood, maintains the body’s electrolyte balance and releases hormones with functions such as managing the level of blood pressure, etc.
Each year millions of people undergo treatments for kidney injury or chronic kidney disease. Though 90% of them don’t realize the kidney disorders at the initial stage or don’t visit the best nephrologist in Chennai, the disease worsens leading to more complications.
What is a Kidney Disease?
Any disorders in the kidney leads to renal failure. There are possibilities for a person to develop kidney disease from existing conditions like obesity, diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure. Also, chronic kidney disease can lead to other issues like a weakened immune system, anemia, osteoporosis, or an irregular heartbeat.
This shows us how important it is to have healthy kidneys and to be proactive. It is always better to visit the nephrology hospital like the Vinita Health Hospital and consult with the best nephrologist in Chennai to get an advanced treatment with cutting-edge techniques.
Who is a Nephrologist?
The department of nephrology deals with the paediatric and adult study of the kidneys or renal and its diseases. A medical doctor who deals with nephrology is a Nephrologist. They are also known as nephrology doctors, nephrology specialists or kidney doctors. The main role of the nephrologist is to deal with diagnosing and managing kidney diseases.
What are the Conditions Treated by a Nephrologist?
The best nephrologist in Chennai works with the patient to diagnose and treat the most commonly treats conditions like the
- Acute renal failure
- Polycystic kidney disease (PKD)
- Chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- Kidney stones
- Blood or protein in urine
- Kidney infections
- Haemolytic uremic syndrome
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Renal artery stenosis
- End-stage kidney disease
When to Consult a Nephrologist?
Your primary healthcare provider can help you by preventing and treating the early stages of kidney disease. However, sometimes these early stages may not show any signs or symptoms or may have nonspecific symptoms such as sleep disorders, fatigue, and change in urination.
Regular testing will be made by the best nephrology doctor in Chennai to monitor your kidney function, particularly if you’re at a risk for kidney disease relating to high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease and a family history of kidney problems.
If your test results indicate rapid or continuing deterioration of kidney function, your doctor will ask you to get an immediate medical attention from the best nephrologist in Chennai especially if you have the below mentioned symptoms:
- Pressure and pain in the chest.
- Lack of sleep
- Difficulty in breathing
- Dry and scaly skin
- Frequent urination
- Swelling around the eyes
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle cramping
- Swollen ankles and feet
- Poor Concentration
- Changes in urine output
- Decreased sex drive
- Fluid retention
- Vomiting and nausea.
Diagnosis of Kidney Disease
As soon as you see the signs and symptoms of kidney problems you need to consult with the best nephrologist in Chennai because he/she will allow you to go through a series of tests to diagnose the accurate cause of the problem. Here are a few important procedures which are followed by the best nephrology doctor in Chennai to diagnose kidney disease.
- Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR) – To monitor the filtration rate of the kidney along with its functions to determine the stage of the kidney disease.
- Urine Analysis – The urine sample is observed using a microscope to look for bacterial infections, bleeding or any other signs of kidney problems.
- Kidney Ultrasound – This procedure is done by the best nephrologist in Chennai to get clear images of the kidneys using sound waves to detect stones and cysts and causes for blockage of urine.
- CT Scan – It helps to take sectional pictures of the organs through X-ray to give clear details of the kidney problems.
- Kidney Biopsy – A small piece of the tissue is extracted from the diseased kidney to understand the severity of the issue.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Scan – High-resolution images are captured through a scanner which helps the best nephrology doctor in Chennai to diagnose the problem with great clarity.
Treatment Procedures of Kidney Disease
Most often kidney diseases are caused because of any other underlying issue such as cholesterol, diabetes, or high blood pressure levels. They are easy to cure when diagnosed earlier by the best nephrology doctor depending on the severity of the disease.
Some of the effective treatment methods handled by the best nephrology specialist in Chennai for kidney problems include:
- Nephrostomy – It is a procedure done by passing a catheter through the skin to reach the kidneys to drain out the blocked urine in the kidneys.
- Lithotripsy – This procedure is performed by the best nephrology specialist in Chennai using a machine to project ultrasound shock waves to pass through the body to break large kidney stones into small pieces.
- Nephrectomy – It is performed in patients who suffer from kidney cancer and other severe kidney disorders where the damaged kidney will be completely removed.
- Dialysis – It is a method followed by the best nephrologist in Chennai to purify the blood with the help of machines and is also done when the kidneys are close to failing or damaged completely.
- Kidney Transplant – It is a procedure done when both kidneys do not function. Transplantation is done by obtaining a healthy kidney from a living donor or a deceased organ donor.
The Best Nephrologist in Chennai
The nephrologists at Vinita Health Hospital have created a reputation in providing cutting-edge treatments for kidney disorders by identifying the root cause of the disease and treating the patient accordingly with the advanced treatment procedures. Some of the best nephrologists here are:
Dr. Sarita Dasari (MBBS, MD (Internal Medicine)
Dr. Sarita Dasari is a well-known and the best nephrologist in Chennai having more than three decades of experience in the department of nephrology. She has practiced in Apollo Spectra Hospitals and is currently associated at Vinita Health Hospital to handle the patients with a modern driven approach. She specializes in providing state-of-the-art treatments in treating urinary tract / bladder stones, adult nephrology, transplant nephrology, renal replacement therapy, and kidney transplant etc. She is much appreciated for her dedication besides providing compassion and care by helping the patients restore to their normal activities.
Dr. Anitha Jagannath K (MD, DNB)
Dr. Anitha Jagannath K is the best nephrology specialist in Chennai who has more than 17 years of expertise in the medical field. She is highly skilled and proficient by providing comprehensive services by treating patients with both primary or complex kidney issues. She is specialized in kidney transplant, lithotripsy, renal transplant, kidney stone treatment, dialysis/ haemodialysis. Her patients approach her for understanding their problems by explaining the cause and treatment options to help them overcome the disease and make them lead an active lifestyle.
Thus, if you have specific concerns about kidney problems it is very important to seek medical assistance after consulting with the best nephrologist in Chennai. You should not delay visiting the nephrology hospital like the Vinita Health Hospital as the experts here will manage and treat all kinds of kidney disorders to help you maintain good health.